Thursday, March 28, 2013

I was born...

Okay, so today I thought I'd blog.  So I tell some friends..."I started a blog"!  "You're what"?  they say.  So, I'm not very tech savvy, so I'm a bit old to be catching up.  Okay, that's a point!

I thought I'd start to reminisce a bit for anyone who is REALLY bored.  Wanna hear an Appalachian Story?  If not, best find another blog.  If so, hold on tight, here goes...

I was born the fourth daughter of an Appalachian farmer.  If you don't know a lot about Appalachians - they are good people.  Honest and hardworking, ready with a good story and a lot of carbohydrates!  My story is not so unique for my people but it is my story. 

The earliest story I was told, besides the one where I was born in the doctor's office, began in the summer of my birth.  The setting a tobacco field.  If you have never worked in tobacco let me just tell you.  It is a hard, year long process.  At that time my family, like many of neighbors, lived on the proceeds of the "cash crop" the entire year.   A neighbor told me that she came to help cut tobacco and saw my black eyes staring back at her from my basket beneath the shade of a 6 foot tobacco plant.  Now when I first heard this story I thought "Poor me!  Just a month old and already in the tobacco field!"  Years later I thought "Oh my goodness, my poor mother had given birth and was taking care of a newborn and was in the tobacco field working!"

No comments:

Post a Comment